Check out our range of fun space and astronomy lesson plans that feature interesting facts and cool activities for kids.
Make a Spaceship
Design and build your own spaceship, space station or satellite. What features will you add to make your creation safe as it travels in space? This is a fun space activity for students that will challenge their design and building skills as well as their general knowledge of space.
Man made objects that are designed for use in space are complex engineering feats that take a lot of design and planning. Examples include such things as the International Space Station, spaceships and satellites.
Put your design and building skills to the test by creating one of these objects using an available resource such as K'Nex, Lego or various recycled household objects (including cardboard, tin foil, softdrink bottles, milk cartoons, newspaper and more).
- Having a premade space station, spaceship or satellite to the show the kids is a good idea as it will give them a rough guide to what is possible with their own designs.
- Decide on what equipment you will use to make your space station, spaceship or satellite.
- Choose which space object you would like to build.
- Plan the design on paper before you start building.
- Start building! Try to follow your original design as much as possible but it's ok to make changes as you go.
- When you've finished, show off your finished creation to others in the class and answer any questions they might have regarding your project.
Good questions include:
- Why did you choose to build this?
- What does this part do?
- Do astronauts live in your creation? If yes, where?
- What was the hardest part of building your space object?
- How well do you think you followed your original design?
- What would you do differently next time?