Introduction to Robotics
This robotics introduction teaches the basics of the robot world, offering robot information covering everything from artificial intelligence to robot mechanics and robots in industries such as car manufacturing and the military.
Learn about robots with the concepts provided in this great technology lesson plan.
What does the word ‘robotics’ mean? - The science or study of the technology associated with the design, fabrication, theory, and application of robots.
What about ‘robot’? - Robots are any machine that does work on its own, automatically.
- What is Artificial Intelligence (AI)? - The ability of a computer or other machine to perform those activities that are normally thought to require intelligence. It is also referred to as the branch of computer science concerned with the development of machines having this ability.
Some questions to think about:
- Will robots ever really be able to think for themselves?
- Will computers ever be smarter than humans? Are they already?
- Will robots ever pose a threat to humans?
- As well as programming robots to be as intelligent as possible, scientists also work hard on building robot that can perform a number of complex movements as well as utilizing a variety of sensors.
Important things to think about:
- Purpose - What is the robot being built to do?
- Materials - What will be used to build the robot? (Plastic, metal etc)
- Center of gravity
- Sensory inputs - Vision, Hearing, Touch, Smell, Taste
Robots in Industry:
Robots and robotic arms are frequently used for:
- Car manufacturing
- Military - Bomb disposal, weapons, army surveillance
- Medical - Surgery, X-Rays, life support
- Space - Shuttles, International Space Station, mars rovers