Make a Model Hand
What you'll need:
- A piece of card the size of your hand
- A pen or pencil
- Take the piece of card and trace the outline of your hand with a pen or pencil.
- Cut out the shape of your hand with scissors.
- Cut the string into 5 pieces that are about the length of your hand.
- Tie a piece of string to the tip of each finger and thumb and stretch it to the base of the palm. Staple the string to the card at the same points where you have joints in your fingers and thumb.
- Try pulling the strings from the base of the palm, what happens?
The muscles in your body are there to shorten or contract, a simple but very important task. Every movement you make is driven by the muscular system, from a simple smile to lifting a heavy box.
The muscles inside your forearm have long tendons running through ligament fibers, known as the carpal tunnel, in the wrist. These muscles allow you to flex your fingers, bending the tips towards your palm, as your fingers do when giving the thumbs up. This is what happens when you pull on the strings of your model hand.