Explore our wide variety of animal facts and learn some fun trivia about our friends in the animal kingdom.
Fun Coyote Facts for Kids
Check out our range of fun coyote facts for kids. Learn what they look like, where they live, what they eat, how they survive and much more. Read on for all kinds of interesting information about coyotes!
- Coyotes are a species of canine closely related to the wolf.
- Coyotes are smaller than wolves. Male coyotes can weigh up to 20 kg (44 lb) while females weigh up to 18 kg (40 lb).
- There are 19 different subspecies of coyote.
- Coyotes are native to North America.
- Coyote are mostly carnivores, feeding on rabbits, birds, deer, reptiles, rodents and other creatures. They occasionally snack on fruit and vegetables too.
- Coyote are very vocal animals, using sounds such as barks, howls, yelps, growls and whines to communicate.
- Coyotes are social animals that usually live as family packs.
- Coyote pups open their eyes after around 10 days, walk by 20 days, and run after around 40 days.
- Coyotes walk as far as 16 kilometres (10 miles) a day.
- Coyotes are sometimes seen as tricksters in Native American folktales.
- It is common for coyotes to attack livestock such as cattle, sheep and goats.
- Coyotes are colorblind, mostly seeing in shades of gray.
- Wile E. Coyote is a well-known Looney Tunes cartoon character that was repeatedly outsmarted by the Road Runner.