Explore our wide variety of animal facts and learn some fun trivia about our friends in the animal kingdom.
Fun Goat Facts for Kids
Check out our range of fun goat facts for kids. Learn what they like to eat, how long they live for, what young goats are called and much more. Read on for all kinds of interesting information about goats!
- Goats are domesticated animals closely related to sheep in the animal kingdom.
- They were domesticated from the wild goat of Eastern Europe and Southwest Asia, possibly as long as 10,000 years ago.
- There are hundreds of unique goat breeds.
- There are estimated to be around one billion goats in the world.
- Male goats are sometimes called billies (or bucks), while female goats are sometimes called nannies (or does).
- Young goats are called kids.
- Goats are very agile, with the ability to climb incredibly steep and dangerous paths. They can even climb trees!
- Goat milk makes up around 2% of the world’s milk supply. It is often made into goat cheese.
- Goats typically have two horns, which they use to protect themselves and gain dominance over others.
- Goat stomachs have four chambers, which they use to break down food.
- They are known for tasting anything they come across but generally prefer weeds, vines and shrubbery.
- Goat eyes feature pupils that have the shape of a black horizontal line.
- Many goats have beards, even the females.
- Goats are intelligent animals and have been known to repeatedly escape enclosures.
- The average lifespan of a goat is around 16 years.