Explore our wide variety of animal facts and learn some fun trivia about our friends in the animal kingdom.
Fun Mink Facts for Kids
Check out our range of fun mink facts for kids. Learn what they look like, what they like to eat, how long they live for in the wild and much more. Read on for all kinds of interesting information about minks!
- Mink are part of a larger family that includes ferrets, otters and weasels.
- Mink are carnivores, meaning they are meat-eaters.
- Mink eat a range of small animals, such as birds, fish, rodents and eggs.
- It is illegal to release mink into the wild in many parts of the world due to their predatory nature.
- Mink enjoy the water and never stray too far from it.
- They are territorial, and males will act aggressively towards other males entering their space.
- Mink weigh around 1 kg (2.2 lb) and live for around three years in the wild (longer in captivity).
- There are two species of mink, the European mink and the American mink.
- The fur of American mink has been sought after for clothing, becoming a well known topic of animals rights.
- Their coat is usually dark and silky looking.
- The European mink has white patches on its lips and a shorter tail than the American mink.
- The European mink is critically endangered.