Explore our wide variety of animal facts and learn some fun trivia about our friends in the animal kingdom.
Fun Porcupine Facts for Kids
Check out our range of fun porcupine facts for kids. Learn what they look like, what they eat, how they defend themselves and much more. Read on for all kinds of interesting information about porcupines!
- Porcupines are a type of rodent covered in sharp spines.
- These sharp spines (known as quills) are made from keratin, the same protein that makes up your fingernails.
- Porcupines are generally nocturnal, which means they are mostly active at night rather than during the day.
- Most porcupines are herbivores (plant eaters), preferring foods such as leaves, bark, fruit and seeds.
- Some species of porcupine can reach lengths of over 1m (3.3 ft), including their tail.
- Different species of porcupine include the African porcupine, American porcupine, Brazilian porcupine, crested porcupine, African brush-tailed porcupine and more.
- They are generally broken into two different groups, Old World porcupine and New World porcupine. New World porcupine can live in trees and are usually smaller, while Old World porcupine prefer life on the ground and are usually larger.
- Porcupine sometimes raise their quills to defend themselves from predators. They may also shake their bodies, clatter their teeth and release an unpleasant smell as a warning signal.
- Quills lost are replaced by new ones.
- Porcupines are found in different parts of the world, including Africa, Europe, Asia, South America and North America.