Types of Robots
Learn about a variety of interesting types of robots that lead the way in the world of robotics and artificial intelligence.
There’s the best in Japanese robots, humanoid robots, autonomous robots and entertainment robots. Get information on popular robots such as ASIMO, AIBO, QRIO and more.
Made by: Sony
Pronounced “curio” the name stands for “quest for curiosity” in Japanese.
Purpose: To live with you, make life fun and make you happy.
What can it do? Walk, talk, run, dance, recognize voices and faces, play ball games and surf the web.
- Foot sensors so it can play soccer.
- Ankles with ball joints so it can walk on uneven surfaces.
- Picks itself up after falling and even checks itself for damage.
- Moves with quick, smooth movements. Check out this video of QRIO dancing.
Made by: Kawada Industries
Purpose: To work in human environments and use human tools.
What can it do? Walk, get up from awkward positions, walk on uneven surfaces and grasp objects.
- It can walk, crouch and get up off the floor as swiftly and smoothly as a human.
- Capable of working alongside humans in a range of industrial and domestic settings.
- Said to be the strongest and most agile of humanoid robots.
Made by: Honda
ASIMO stands for: Advanced Step in Innovative Mobility, it also takes its name from robotic visionary Isaac Asimov.
Purpose: Began in 1986 as a study into human movement and has since evolved into a robot capable of a wide range of tasks.
What can it do? It can walk, run, turn corners, recognize hand gestures, carry objects, dance and climb up and down stairs.
- May be the most advanced humanoid robot in the world.
- Can perform simple tasks, such as switching on a light switch.
Made by: The Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (Japan)
Purpose: Paro is a therapeutic toy designed to comfort those in need like the elderly and sick.
- Responds to stroking/cuddling through special touch sensors beneath its fur and on its whiskers.
- Modeled on a baby harp seal.
- Has voice recognition and authentic seal sounds.
Made by: NEC
PaPeRo stands for: Partner-type Personal Robot
Purpose: To both entertain and assist around the house.
What can it do? Recognizes speech, talks, moves, responds to users, controls household devices.
- Recognizes 650 phrases and 3000 words.
- Can wirelessly control your TV and surf the internet.
- Designed to look cute so humans feel protective rather than threatened.
Made by: Sony (Japan)
AIBO stands for: Artificial Intelligent Robot
AIBO features a variety of senses:
- Touch - Feels human contact through sensors on head, back, chin & paws.
- Hearing - Detects sound through a pair of stereo microphones, voice recognition.
- Sight - Color camera, distance sensors and facial recognition.
- Balance - Keeps balance through acceleration sensors.
- AIBO possesses 5 basic instincts: Love, Search, Movement, Recharge & Sleep
- Each AIBO begins life as a newborn puppy, over time it will develop its own unique personality based upon how it is raised.
- AIBO likes to dance & play with his toys - An AIBOne and pink ball, he also likes to perform tricks with them.
- When AIBO is low on power he will seek out his energy station on his own.
- AIBO can take photos on command or whenever he chooses to, these can be sent via email or stored on his memory card.
- AIBO can look after you’re house when you are away, he can detect movement and sound, taking a picture and notifying you via email.
- As well as voice recognition, you can also communicate to AIBO using his graphics cards, these are useful when the surroundings are noisy.